Many people struggle with high blood pressure. Actually, according to the statistics of the American Heart Association, about 76.4 million adults have high blood pressure. It is one of the top causes of stroke and heart attack.
Use celery to lower high blood pressure
Celery juice is high in 3-n-butylphthalide, or phthalide, which gives the vegetable’s taste and aroma. According to High Blood Pressure Info, when it comes to its effect on our bodies, phthalide has the ability to relax the smooth muscles in the walls of the blood vessels. The blood pressure lowers as the blood vessels dilate, so the blood can flow easily.
Celery juice for high blood pressure (recommendations)
According to the recommended Oriental dosages, four ounces of celery, or about a cup of chopped celery, a day is quite enough to lower high blood pressure. You should feel some improvement within a week or two. Juicing 2 celery stalks a day will give you the same result.
Celery Juice Recipe
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 beetroot
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 green apple
Juice all the ingredients together and enjoy this delicious drink.
Celery Juice — Health benefits
Acidity: Celery juice contains important minerals that balance your pH and neutralize acidity.
Athletes: This juice is the best post-workout healthy tonic. It will replace lost electrolytes and rehydrate the body.
Cancer: Studies have shown that celery contains eight groups of anti-cancer compounds. Acetylenics have proven to stop tumor growth. Phenolic acids block the action of prostaglandins that stimulate tumor growth. Coumarines prevent any possible damages caused by free radicals.
Cholesterol: Celery juice is efficient in reducing the total cholesterol, and LDL or bad cholesterol.
Colon and stomach cancer: Phytochemical coumarins prevent the formation and further development of stomach and colon cancer.
Constipation: Celery has a natural laxative effect and relieves constipation. It also relaxes the nerves that are overworked by pharmaceutical laxatives.
MORE POPULAR ARTICLES
Diuretic: Celery juice is rich in potassium and sodium. These minerals regulate the body fluids and stimulate the production of urine, which makes this vegetable an important aid in the elimination of excess fluid.
Inflammation: Celery contains polyacetylene, which relieves various inflammations, including arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis.
Kidney function: Celery aids in the elimination of toxins and thus promotes normal kidney function. By doing so, it prevents the formation of kidney stones.
Lower blood pressure: Regular consumption of celery juice will help you regulate your blood pressure. This juice contains phthalides that relax the muscles around the blood vessels, improving the blood flow. For the best results, drink the juice for a week and make a break for three weeks. Then repeat the procedure.
Nervous system: Celery juice contains organic alkaline minerals. They have soothing effect on the nervous system, so it is great for people who struggle with insomnia.
Weight loss: Drink celery juice regularly, during the whole day. It is excellent for the moments when you crave for sweets and high-calorie foods.
Urinary stones: Celery juice has diuretic effect and it stimulates the breaking and elimination of urinary and gall bladder stones.
Reduce stress hormones: The research conducted by William J. Ellion, a clinical pharmacologist, and Quang T. Le, a medical student, showed that phthalide also hinders the production of catecholamines. The research was documented in High Blood Pressure Info. When you are stressed, the adrenal glands produce catecholamines, fight-or-flight hormones. These hormones increase the blood pressure.
Catecholamines and other stress hormones tighten the blood vessels and affect the normal blood flow, which increases the amount of pressure your heart needs to pump blood. Phthalide also blocks the function of tyrosine hydroxylase enzymes that produce stress hormones and increase the blood pressure, as stated in High Blood Pressure Info.
Lifestyle changes that will reduce your blood pressure
1. Change your dietary habits and lose some weight if necessary.
2. Think about vegetarian or semi-vegetarian diet. Statistics shows that vegetarians rarely show signs of hypertension. Of course, it is not necessary to become a vegetarian, but try to add more veggetables and complex carbohydrates to your menu. You may also want to reduce the sodium intake if you need to reduce your blood pressure. The latest studies have shown that by consuming celery you can control hypertension. However, be careful, because when consumed in large amounts, celery can be toxic.
3. Eat foods rich in fiber. This diet regimen will help you regulate your blood pressure.
4. Do not drink alcohol, or at least reduce the intake.
5. Lower the fat intake.
6. Exercise. Half an hour is enough to regulate hypertension.
7. Include meditation or yoga to your daily routine.
8. Have a nice and relaxing massage. Therapeutic massages promote better sleep, improve concentration, and reduce anxiety.
9. Pet therapy. A group of researchers from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine confirmed that greeting a pet lowers high blood pressure more than reading a neutral text.
10. Naturopathy as a way of life. Naturopathy improves the body’s ability to heal itself. It relies on a variety of techniques from ancient Indian, Chinese and Greek medicine, and includes relaxation therapy, counseling and psychotherapy,herbal medicine, nutrition counseling, physical therapy and homeopathy.
11. Stop smoking: People with active and healthy lifestyle have normal blood pressure, which eliminates the need for pharmacological help. And as we already explained having some celery is the best natural way to regulate your blood pressure.